Fishing and Hunting License
General License Information

General License Information

In Alaska, a license is required in order to participate in hunting/trapping/fishing, personal use fishing, commercial fishing, and sport fish or hunt guiding. Several different licenses are available for residents, non-residents, members of the military, residents who are disabled veterans, and resident seniors who are 60 years or older. Most licenses, as well as king salmon and Alaska duck stamps can be obtained online.

How long is my license valid?

Licenses are valid from the date of purchase through December 31st of each calendar year. The exceptions are trapping licenses and short-term non-resident fishing licenses. Trapping licenses are valid from the start date through September 30th of the following year. Short-term non-resident fishing licenses are valid for only 1, 3, 7, or 14 days.

What are the different license formats?

There are three types of license formats: printed/electronic licenses, eSigned licenses, and carbon copy licenses.

  1. Printed/Electronic Licenses: This format is available at ADF&G offices, most license vendors, and our online store. At time of purchase you will receive a copy of your license in PDF format. There are three ways to carry a printed/electronic license.
    1. You may print a copy of your license, physically sign it, and carry it on your person.
    2. You may download an electronic version to your phone and sign the license by utilizing tools available through your mobile device.
    3. You may carry a digital version by taking a picture of your signed license with your mobile device.
  2. eSigned Licenses: This format is only available through your ADF&G account on the online store. Purchasing a license for yourself through your ADF&G account will automatically provide you with an eSigned license. This license can be stored and viewed on your electronic device. You may also print this license version and carry the physical copy on your person.
  3. Carbon Copy Licenses: This format is being reduced and is only available at select vendors and some ADF&G offices. This license is handwritten and the licensee receives a carbon copy. If this license is lost, a duplicate must be issued at a cost of $5.00.

Age Requirements

Residents under the age of 18 do not need a hunting, sport fishing, or trapping license, unless they are proxying or guiding. Non-residents under the age of 16 do not need a sport fishing license, but they do need to purchase a hunting and/or trapping license.

When sport fishing for a species with an annual limit, resident and non-resident anglers of all ages are required to record their harvest on a Sport Fishing Harvest Record Card. The harvest record card is available online, at some license vendors, or at Fish and Game offices. Species with an annual limit are listed in the "general regulations" section in area sport fish regulations summary books.

Residents (Under Age 10) Non-Residents (Under Age 10)
  • Hunting license not required
  • Harvest ticket/permit not required
  • Must use supervising hunter's big game locking tag
  • State duck stamp not required
  • Hunting license required
  • Big game locking tag required
  • Harvest ticket/permit not required
  • State duck stamp is required
  • Must be supervised by a licensed hunter at least 16 years of age and be under direct, immediate supervision of that hunter.
  • Must use supervising hunter's harvest ticket/permit
  • Bag limit will go towards supervising hunter
Residents (Age 10–17) Non-Residents (Age 10+)
  • Hunting license not required
  • Big game locking tag required for applicable species
  • State duck stamp not required
  • Hunting license required
  • Big game locking tag required
  • State duck stamp is required
  • Harvest ticket/permit required
  • Has own bag limit
Residents (Under Age 18) Non-Residents (Under Age 16)
  • Fishing license not required
  • Harvest record card required

Alaska Resident Seniors or Disabled Veterans

Resident seniors (60 years of age or older) who meet the Fish and Game residency definition may obtain a senior permanent identification card (PID). Resident disabled veterans who meet the Fish and Game residency definition may obtain a disabled veteran's license. Both the identification card and disabled veteran's license are issued without charge once an application has been completed and approved through the online store or a Fish and Game office. For more information, please see Seniors & Disabled Veterans.

Do I need a king salmon stamp?

King salmon stamps are required for anglers who fish for king salmon (except king salmon in stocked lakes), except for residents under the age of 18 and non-residents under the age of 16, as well as persons who have a resident blind fishing license, resident low-income license, resident senior permanent identification card (PID), or resident disabled veteran's license. These individuals require a Harvest Record card to fish for king salmon (except king salmon in stocked lakes).

Do I need a Alaska duck stamp?

A state duck stamp is required for anyone who hunts waterfowl, except for residents under the age of 18 and persons who have a resident low-income license, resident senior permanent identification card (PID), or resident disabled veteran's license.

Do I need a big game locking tag?

Alaska residents who plan to hunt brown/grizzly bear or muskox may be required to obtain a big game locking tag. See definition of a resident licensee.

Individuals who qualify for the non-resident military license may be required to obtain a big game locking tag to hunt for brown/grizzly bear, goat (free), muskox, or sheep (free). See definition of a non-resident military licensee and more information on qualifying for military licenses.

Non-residents and non-resident aliens may be required to obtain a big game locking tag to hunt brown/grizzly bear, black bear, bison, caribou, deer, elk, goat, moose, muskox, sheep, wolf, or wolverine. See definition of a non-resident or non-resident alien licensee.

Please see the current hunting regulations for details.

Can I use a higher priced big game locking tag as a replacement?

A big game locking tag may be used for a species of equal or lesser value.

Refund of Licenses, Stamps, and Big Game Locking Tags

Refunds are processed at the Juneau Headquarters Licensing office only. Please send your written request for refund along with your original license/tag and any supporting documentation for the refund to the following address:

State of Alaska
Department of Fish and Game
Attn: Licensing/Refund
PO Box 115525
Juneau AK 99811-5525

Refunds are regulated by Alaska Administrative Code 5 AAC 93.530 which states:

  1. A person who wishes to obtain a refund of a license fee must apply by submitting a written request directly to the department, including the person's original license and supporting documentation that shows the person meets the requirements in (b) of this section.
  2. A refund of a license fee will be granted by the department under this section only if the licensee or the licensee's representative demonstrates to the satisfaction of the department that the licensee was unable to make any use of the license as a result of:
    1. the death or serious disabling illness or injury of the licensee that occurred after the licensee's purchase of the license and before the opening of any season for which the license may have been used; in the case of a serious disabling illness or injury, the illness or injury must have lasted until all seasons for which the license may be used are closed;
    2. the permanent cancellation of the opening of all seasons to which the license applied, rendering the license unusable at any time during the year for which it was issued; or
    3. a catastrophic event that the department determines justifies a refund of the license fee, including a localized volcano eruption or a terror alert that prohibits the licensee's air travel to this state.
  3. A refund will not be made under this section to a licensee who is
    1. unsuccessful in the licensee's efforts to take fish or game or obtain employment as a crew-member; or
    2. unable to conduct the licensed activity due to scheduling difficulties, transportation problems, misconduct of a guide, or other circumstances that prevent the licensee from undertaking the activity the licensee had planned, but which do not prevent the licensee from undertaking licensed activities at either an earlier or later time.

If you have any questions about the refund process, please email us at or call the Licensing office at 907-465-2376.

Federal Requirement for Aliens Bringing Guns into the United States

The U.S. Department of Justice/Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) requires non-immigrant aliens temporarily importing firearms and ammunition into the United States to submit ATF Form 6NIA (5330.3D), in order to obtain an ATF firearm import permit. This permit application must be submitted well in advance of your trip.

The form and instruction on how to submit it can be obtained by calling ATF at 304-616-4550 or visiting the ATF website, where you can download the ATF Form 6NIA (5330.3D). It takes approximately 8-10 weeks for ATF to process the ATF Form 6NIA (5330.3D).

In order to submit this form (unless meeting other qualifications listed on the form), you must buy a hunting license. A hunting license can be purchased at our Fish and Game online store. A copy of your license with the ATF Form 6NIA (5330.3D) must be sent to ATF.

The approved ATF importation permit and your hunting license in order to clear US Customs when you arrive in the United States. All the regulations about carrying an unconcealed or concealed handgun in Alaska can be found at the Alaska Department of Public Safety.

If you have more questions, please can contact the ATF Alaska field office at (907) 271-5701.